SUBJECT: PD Zoning – North Capitol Townhomes
Approve the proposed rezoning with the conditions recommended by staff and the Planning Commission with the following modifications to the Development Standards:
1. Landscaping along the property lines with adjacent residences shall be increased to provide additional privacy screening.
2. The internal side-to-side dimensions between buildings shall be a minimum of 8 feet to allow the side setback for the unit on the northeast corner of the property to be increased to 14 ft.
3. Along North Capitol Avenue, buildings shall have a 10 ft. minimum setback from the back of the public sidewalk.
4. Along North Capitol Avenue, a 6-ft high sound attenuation wall may be placed no closer than 10 ft. from the back of the public sidewalk. The sound wall may extend from the north and south property lines to the front building line of the units adjacent to North Capitol.
5. The two units adjacent to North Capitol Avenue shall incorporate sound attenuation construction techniques, as recommended by staff, in addition to the sound walls.
6. The area between the sound walls and the sidewalk shall be landscaped.
The recommended changes will address concerns raised by neighbors about privacy, landscaping and setbacks from property lines and improve the living environment for the units closest to Capitol Avenue.
This memorandum has been coordinated with the Planning Department and the developer has agreed to make the changes in the project.